Scotland’s 3rd largest city, Aberdeen, is a harbor city on its northeast coast. It is considered as an important sea port, regional center and nothing less than the hub of the North Sea oil industry.
As one walks through the streets of Aberdeen, it unashamedly shows how the past can thrive with the present. One can see the romance of the old life and the beating of all things new as structures and buildings of ages past and of the present stand tall side by side.
It is a city where possibilities can be glanced at every corner for while it has known spots, it also has spaces where one must take the time to search and savor perhaps more so during Autumn. Autumn, after all, is said to be the most picturesque time to visit Aberdeen.
Like most cities that do not fear to embrace both its past and present, Aberdeen has its spaces for those who aspire to start and strengthen their relationships. These include places where Aberdeen dating can be fun, light and perhaps in the end, truly lasting.
Here are the things you can do in the city where you and your date can do for free and still have the time of your life in Aberdeen:
- Catch the autumn sunrise together. Sunrise is almost always a spectacular show in the sky and many would say more so, in this part of Scotland. To catch this natural art in the sky, you only have to go to one of Aberdeen’s beaches which is really just 10 minutes from the city center. And of course, you can enjoy a stroll along the beach as well. This is something that Aberdeen singles can just do to relax and enjoy.
- Relive history together as you visit the Aberdeen Maritime Museum. Take note that the Aberdeen harbor is one of the oldest in the world. There are plenty of things to see and talk about while you are there.
- Seek out the beauty of art as you check out the Aberdeen Art Gallery. Its art gallery features works from the 15th century to present day. Be aware that the museum also hosts free lunch hour concerts and lectures! Other museums which are free to visit are the Marischal College and Museum which is the 2nd largest granite structure in the world and Provost Skene’s House.
- Don’t forget to take a walking tour of old Aberdeen. Your time in Aberdeen wouldn’t be complete without exploring together the Old Aberdeen which has some of the most beautiful architecture in the city. Also free to tour are the King’s College founded in 1495 and the St. Machar’s Cathedral, which dates back to the 19th century.
- Before you call it a day, stop over at the Aberdeen Harbor. According to the Guinness Book of Records, the harbor is Britain’s oldest business, having been established in 1136. Even as you take in all the activity of the port along with the fresh breeze, you and your date can also try to catch sight of seals and dolphins which usually play near the entrance.
One can indeed enjoy the city of Aberdeen without emptying one’s pocket even as the Christmas season may be drawing near. Aside from experiencing the beauty and history that the city has to offer, what better way (or best way!) to do it with your date or with someone who now holds not just your hand but also your heart.