How do you cope with those difficult days?
Those days when you would rather stay in bed and cry. Those days when you question whether there are still good and happy times ahead of you.
I have experienced those difficult times, too. These are the things that help me cope:
- Making a list of things that I am grateful for. Doing this never fails to help dispel any negativity in my mind or pain in my heart. This helps me see that despite the “bad things” that may be plaguing me now, so many good things have happened as well. This creates a spark of hope in me.
- Listening to a worship song. Somehow, listening to a worship song changes the environment around me and inside me 🙂 For maximum effect, if I may say so, I listen to a whole playlist of worship songs lasting to an hour or more.
- Talking it out with a friend. This is usually cathartic, given, of course, that the friend is someone who knows how to listen and help “process” what I am going through. We all need to have friends who can handle not only a happy and joyful us but also a burdened and broken us.
- Reading inspiring stories, the Bible. Stories of people who overcome adversities and challenges in life are very helpful during our own personal challenging times. Reading God’s promises in the Bible is hope-stirring 🙂
- Praying to God. Talking to God will have to be part of this list. After all, this life is our journey with Him. And He has given us both love and life (you and I are part of that world mentioned in John 3: 16 🙂 ).
We will have difficult days but they will not last forever. There’s a season and time for everything — the season of hardship will eventually give way to one of singing again (Song of Songs 2:11-13).